Action or Transaction? {The Friendships of Women}


What is life like in the other woman's boots?  Be interested...but not enmeshed.  Be open-handed, not tight fisted.  And above all...never...ever...try to write your name on the bottom of those boots of hers...

...your friend's boots.

She belongs to the Lord, first and foremost.  She also belongs to a handful of other people in her life called "husband", "daughter", "son", or "grandchild" or "mother".   She does not belong to you.

After all, isn't that what makes her so beautiful?  The fact that she works so hard to build authentic relationships with her beloveds, so that what she has to offer you, when she enfolds you into that circle, is something so genuine you feel inspired to go love on your beloveds - isn't that what makes her so special?

When you stop using her to feel better about yourself, you will finally be in a position to be a true friend to your girlfriend.  After all, relationship is about holding up a vision of the greatness of the other girl.

It is unconditional love - it is action, not transaction.

Hey.  You already know this, deep down.

Be genuinely interested in the success of someone else.  See life through her lens, walk a mile in her boots...because she is that incredible to you.  And remember:  interested women are irresistibly interesting.

Go love your friend into being her best self.  Ironically, you become your best self when you do.




2 comments:

Susan said...

This post resonates with me, dear friend ... at this point in my life, there's not only my walk with my Savior, but finding a little morning time with my hubby (away from a busy household), taking care of grandbabies, helping kids, keeping up with aging parents ...

I've cancelled out my response several times so as I don't come across so complaining or venting ... but sometimes we all just need a little understanding from the women with whom we know carry just as heavy loads as we do ... yet more often than not, we still wait on that understanding from them.

Thank you for "getting it" ... and for taking time to put it into words & share it.

Sheila Atchley said...

We are together on this...I guess I have always been in this place, and always will be, to some degree. I have never been the type to spend long hours hanging out with girlfriends or on the phone. First it was home schooling, now it is trying to get a business off the ground. God has called us to these things (grands,businesses,husband,family) I know I was not prepared NOT to have more time for friends once my nest emptied...but that is my reality. Still working hard. :-)