Wish List

If by saying that all men are born equal, you mean that they are equally born, it is true, but true in no other sense; birth, talent, labor, virtue, and providence, are forever making differences.

Resolved to live with all my might while I do live, and as I shall wish I had done ten thousand ages hence.

~both quotes by Johnathan Edwards


You haven't lived, until you've put a $250 book on your wish list. Actually, it is a set of TWO books...hard cover...classic...


Nevermind. Not everyone will understand.


No, I don't expect to actually receive this set of books, but to know they exist is exquisitely bittersweet.

This is the "blank Bible". It is the collection of a lifetime of thoughts on Old and New Testament Scripture, by Johnathan Edwards. The entire process, from concept to publication, is fascinating (well, to me) and you can learn about it here:







Enjoy the bittersweetness of adding this jewel to YOUR wish list! (Many thanks to my friend Dan Bowen, of "Life on Wings" for making me aware of it.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I understand about the books!!!! I would put a set of $250.00 books on my wish list in a heart beat. There is just something about the feel of a book, the smell of a book! Most of all what is inside. Wow. I get excited about a book!!
Sorry,I am a little crazy.
When you get your set, may I see them?
Love
Vickie

Sheila Atchley said...

Vickie,
YESYESYES! The smell of a new book - the way the spine sort of "cracks" when you open it for the first time...the way the pages feel. And after a very few days, even my new books are marked up, and perhaps even spotted with drops of coffee or water (from reading in the bathtub).

It does me no good to take a book of mine and try to get credit at the used book store. They don't want my books - they are too well-loved, well-worn, and very, very personalized. *sigh* Besides, like old friends, I cannot part with them.

*If* I ever get the set (my children have been known to go in together to get me an expensive present - but these days they have much greater fiscal burdens to bear, so I won't hope...) I'll let you know, show it to you, share it with you...after I read it. ACK!

Anonymous said...

Bibliophiles, UNITE!

The smell of a new book!
The crackle of the spine, the crisp pages never read by any human before...

Then there is the musty smell of an old book store... the history recorded in the free/loose endpage with the To's and the From's with some wonderfully old date (or even not so old date)....

Makes no diff the price, a good book is a joy forever and whether it is ever bought, it still goes on the wish list! LOL

(Link: Parts of a Book: http://www.antcolbks.com/BookParts.gif)