Let My Birthweek Begin!

Gift card for a pedicure...God loves me silly.

Just call me Achsah. It'll make sense when you're finished reading.

Today's my birthday. Actually, its my birthweek, because I don't just have birthdays. God began giving me gracious gifts yesterday...the first one came in the form of a very tender conversation with my precious daughter Sarah. She quietly came into my room, where I was sitting by my little electric fireplace doing my typical Sunday morning Bible reading. What she said to me brought both a smile and a tear. It was bittersweet. She is so not in an easy season of life, but that girl of mine is willing to make the "tough calls" - she steps up to the plate every time, she leads when sometimes no one else will, and she has always ultimately chosen the fear of the Lord.


To have a daughter who will come and sit down and tell her mom, in detail, all that is going on in her heart? I am blessed among women...I do not deserve it, I have not earned it, but God has given me daughters who honor Him.


Then the Lord gave me a word from His Word to me - an intensely private and infinitely valuable word, one that brought me to more grateful tears. I think my make-up stayed on all of five minutes. It was gone BEFORE I even left for church yesterday.


Then, yesterday afternoon, my oldest son got a haircut. Just for his momma. Oh, outrageous joy! I was over the moon...stay tuned, because I intend to post a picture of this man, who with a haircut, is "GQ material" - fer shure.


Then I was lavished with love-gifts at church:




More love-gifts,I tenderly placed where I'd enjoy them every day:



I am now loaded with a personal, private stash of "narcotics for mothers" :







Then I had surf n' turf, cooked for me by friends...I believe I went home a full jeans-size larger. Once home from dinner, I came home to a berry cake made for me by my OTHER daughter, Hannah...she cleaned my bedroom and bath...got me a new book....and then a set of CD's on the life of Ruth Bell Graham.



...and best of all, each of my four children pitched in to get this:





Can you see it, in the back? Yup. A generous gift card to the local spa. Ohhhh, baby. This momma is now officially spoilt plumb rotten. Children, you do this to me every single year. Thank you....you know I adore each of your unique little selves. I love you so stinking much it hurts. Loving you will always hurt me more than it hurts you....HA! I love you with a ferocity that leaves me feeling helpless, and I will love you like this forever. Think about that.



And the day is not over. I have to leave...right now....to have lunch with my mother. My sons are hatching yet more birthday delights for me, to be revealed at some later time today. My husband cryptically keeps saying, "The day's just getting started...this day is far from over!"


So like Achsah...I have decided that "more" is an okay thing to ask for and to enjoy. "Father, you have given me so much. Give me also this other thing my heart asks of You!" This abundant, blessed, "more" kind of birthday is special beyond description.


"More" later...


And it came to pass, when Achsah came to her father...Caleb said unto her, What wilt thou? And she said unto him, Give me a blessing: for thou hast given me a south land; give me also springs of water. And Caleb gave her the upper springs and the nether springs. (Judges 1: 14, 15)

7 comments:

Robin in New Jersey said...

You are truely blessed! Happy Birthday!

Jamie said...

Happy Birthday!! :) I hope your celebration is never ending...what a sweet Life!

Coincidentally, it's my sister's b'day, too!!

And my b'day is later in the month, when we officially kick off the Holidays by a trip to the mountains to cut down the tree!

There is something about November girls! ;)

lydia said...

Yay!! Happy Birthday! Today was my anniversary!! It's definitely a good day.............

Donna-Jean Breckenridge said...

Praying for many more 'also's for you :-)

I loved reading about your day...

Sheila Atchley said...

There *is* something about November girls! I agree. Robin! I'm so glad to see you here! Jamie and Lydia Joy...(we're the grace groupies - ACK!) thanks for the birthday blessings.

Donna Jean - my treasure-of-a-friend. Should the Lord really go over the top...really giving me a secret desire of my heart...get ready. We are *so* going to be spending a day together, someday. Can't wait.

::happy sigh:: Ya'll have made my day.

Unknown said...

My prayer is that you have a birthday YEAR . . . full of blessings and adventures and precious times with loved ones and with the Lover of your soul.

Hannah Nichole Atchley said...

Mom,
You know how on birthdays... when someone's blessed there's the typical pat on the back and the phrase "you desirve it" given?
It's given without much thought,.. it's just the thing to say.
I don't want that to get in the way of my meaning it with all my heart when I say... "You MORE THAN desirve it." In fact, if anyone desirves a blessing, it is you.
I do pray a blessing over you mother. Because you DESIRVE IT!