Open the Window {the art of cultivating sustainable delights...}

(beautiful little window, in the village of Auvers-sur-Oise - my own photography)

When I went to Paris, I was struck by how I never needed to go to Paris to feel amazed.

Don’t get me wrong, I was astonished by all of it:
the Seine river, the Eiffel Tower, the Notre Dame, and apricot crepes.  Especially apricot crepes.
But I already have my Smoky Mountains, my people, my garden, and my coffee with cream.

Cultivating your own sustainable delight
is an art form to be desired.

It’s sort of like the story of the woman who reached a point in her life where she was deeply unhappy.  She felt stifled.
She felt suffocated.
She lacked freshness.
She lacked light.

So she packed up all her belongings and sold the house, because she longed for those things:  freshness and light.

But the next house felt like more of the same.
So she sold it, too.

She sadly never figured out the secret to sustainable joy:

Don’t sell the house.  Just open the window.

This window speaks to me of a God who has richly
provided for me (the kingdom of heaven is "at hand") all that I need.


It is up to me to make the most of it.

No comments: