Star Gazing



He counts the number of the stars; He calls them all by name. (Psalm 147:4)

I'm star gazing tonight...a decades-old, but recently neglected hobby of mine . I located several constellations and planets, as I sat on my back deck - some are my old favorites, others were much more obscure to me. Google Sky rocks.

Absolutely breathtaking beauty, seen in my own backyard. The same stars that any country person, or palace or mansion dweller might see...the same stars are all mine, too. I don't need the rural address or the large income to be smitten by Canis Minor, Polaris, the moon, Saturn, and Orion's belt...and that is just a few of the sparkley sights I've seen tonight. I know all about light pollution, ambient light in the city, blah blah blah.


All I can tell you is...I'm seeing stars.


Beautiful stars. From my back yard. Proverbs says wisdom is "before" him (or her) who has understanding. Meaning: it is accessible...always right in front of you, IF you are wise. I promise you, the stars are mysterious and miraculous when gazed upon, no matter where you live.


You don't have to move to the country, own an expensive telescope, or view stars from a fancy "verandah".


You can enjoy them laying on a blanket, on the grass, in your back yard, wherever you are. Ask me how I know.



The wisdom of God is on display....right before your eyes....accessible....free.

Care to join me?

Try Google Sky Map, if you have a smart phone.

Or, type in your zip code here.


And now, even as I type, Tim and I are propped up on pillows in our room, watching IMAX Hubble on our television. So....I really like you....but....I'll see you later.



I'm just sayin'.

3 comments:

Jonathan Trentham said...

http://www.stellarium.org/

Even better than Google Sky in my opinion.

The skies are something else here. I can see polaris, cassiopeia, as well as the southern cross and the southern triangle. Northern and Southern constellations all in the same sky. It's truly magnificent.

happy hunting,
jono

Anonymous said...

ooooOOOOOOooooo and aaaaaaaaahhhh... YES, we LOVE to 'ooo and aaaah' at the Star Spectacular, always available for free 'to those who have eyes to see'. THANK YOU for the reminder and always love those scriptures that speak of God's creation... great to hear from your side of the world, too, dear Jono.
[Love to watch cloud formations,too! :o)))]
Buh-BYE. LOVEasEvah~ me across the mtns

Sheila Atchley said...

Is stellarium a mobile app? (I haven't checked out the link yet...) JONO, it is always sooooo good to hear from you. Man, I LOVE your blog. I am going to "feature" it soon...

MomAnnnnnnn-onymous, Tim loves cloud formations...I like them too, but not as much as he does. There even is a "cloud" field guide! :-) I got it for him, one year, for his birthday.