The Finished Work of Christ






I say this with decisive confidence, as a student of the Scripture, and a disciple of Jesus Christ: authority will pass more and more into the hands of men who have the courage to preach the "whole gospel", which is the New Covenant gospel...





...and it does take courage to preach it...great courage. When you get the chance, ask Paul the Apostle how much courage it takes. The New Covenant is the completion (and replacement) of the Old - and any gospel that gives greater weight to the law is an incomplete, "unbalanced" presentation.





The man who preaches the Finished Work of Christ will bear authority and rule, because all authority flows from the gift of righteousness we have been given. We have no authority based on our own puny, filthy efforts.





The New Covenant man will rule lovingly and modestly, because wrapped up in the revelation of the grace of God, is a revelation of his own falling short, and the manifold power of the atonement.





But make no mistake - the Grace-man will rule. The fact that anyone may disagree with that observation does not make it not so. Hound dogs always howl at the moon, but the moon is unaffected.



These men (and women) will be able to bear authority with a trustworthiness that far exceeds their self-aware antinomian-legalist friends, because they have taken the trouble to educate themselves in the whole gospel.

3 comments:

When He Whispers said...

Sheila,

Beautiful post! Been a Christian for many years, but just recently has the knowledge of the New Covenant and Grace started to penetrate my heart and soul.

Love to you,

L

Sheila Atchley said...

Dear L,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. New Covenant and the Gospel, the theme of Christ Alone, of Grace Plus Nothing, is the thing that consumes me, and it always will. "Twill be my theme in glory!"

I toss a recipe onto my blog here or there, a gratuitous grandson picture, and other "fun stuff", but my heartbeat, the thing that moves my heart, is the gospel. We will be every single day of our lives, for the rest of our lives, finding fresh ways to apply what we are learning in grace. (That's called "growing in the grace and knowlege of our Lord Jesus Christ").

Not many women join me in my "magnificent obsession" - the girls from my church do, for sure -but many women either resist the Gospel, in favor of a mixture of law and grace, or they just don't "get" my utter passion. They'd rather talk about "stuff"...other stuff, their stuff, mostly.

I am just like you - a Christian for *many* years, before the truths of grace, Gospel, and New Covenant began to renew my mind. It truly is like being born again/again. ACK!

Thanks for sharing the passion with me...

When He Whispers said...

Oh, Sheila!

How your words have blessed my heart today! I feel so very lonely in my passion for this "new birth" in understanding that law and grace do not and cannot mix.

I too, would rather talk about Jesus than anything else. It's rare that people talk of His love, mercy, grace and power. And when I do, I get funny looks and the conversation is changed to self and stuff.

I am a nana to four beautiful boys. Momma to three. Married 32 years to my high school sweetheart.

Thank you for sharing your passion for Christ. And I just feel so incredibly blessed to have stumbled onto your site today!

L