It Was Her First Birthday {Aidyn Esther}

I will never forget the day when I heard for sure what I knew for certain: that this little being inside my daughter's womb was, for a fact, distinctly female. The ultrasound tech actually "shushed" me.

And I hadn't been shushed for 40 years.

I will never forget the day she was born, all pink baby flesh and dark hair and darting tongue, searching for something yummy to eat. She had the eyes of an old soul - everyone remarked about her eyes. I pulled her to my face, mingling our breaths, as I had done with her momma, and every other baby of mine. I watched her closely, and out of long experience, loosely divined what sort of baby she would be, and of course I was right.

I will never forget the day of her first birthday. That day when The Unseen Divide is passed over, and the early baby-days are left forever behind, as images and bits of too-small clothing and memories too intense to be forgotten. There she was, in all her granddaughter glory, making me achingly proud with her sparkly ways:






This one is destined for church life. She is happiest in a crowd...completely at home in an atmosphere of worship. When she was days old, I bought her a tiny stuffed baby chick, dressed in a pink skirt, holding a tiny cloth cross, with a yellow fluff of fuzz on the top of its head. Embroidered on it, the words "Church Chick".

Had you seen her light up when she came into the sanctuary yesterday morning, you would know that I had a prescient moment when I snatched up Church Chick for this baby girl. She has already spent more of her time with the body of Christ than without them.

She and her momma are my female legacy. Neither can avoid or erase the fact that they came from me, and thus will never not love the church. They will feel burdened by her, serve her past the point of human ability, and sometimes wish they could stop loving the church. But love her they always will.





And being well dressed on a Sunday is a non-negotiable, because we are also southern women. We like to be well turned out for church, even if that simply means our flats match our jewelry, and our jeans are the dark wash skinnies.





Oh, how she loves her PopPop...he is "Mr. Incredible" to both of his grandchildren. (Taking note of his shirt...) He calls her his Pumpkin Girl, and she loves to whisper his name in long affection, "poppoppoppop, PopPop, poppoppoppop, pop-pop."





Even as a one-year-old, she managed an appropriate reaction to each gift, making the givers feel certain they had pleased her. Again...Southern Charm at its best.





And finally...her first birthday cake. She knew exactly what to do, and loved every bite of the tiny bit she was given.







Sweet baby girl. I will miss all this, your very first year of life.





But we will share in many more. You are loved beyond belief, and your Mimi is so proud of you. I love having you just two minutes away from my front door...scooping you up for ice cream over the weekend was the highlight of my Saturday.

Others can be about whatever it is they are about...but when all a woman has to show for her life are the things, animal-vegetable-mineral, that her money can buy (or the things her husband's money can buy) she may be rich, but she has no wealth.

True wealth is found in relationships. Biblical wealth is in the generations all relating to one another in love.

I have not earned it, and do not deserve it, but I am wealthy. It has been by Grace Alone that I have this wealth.

The Lord hath been mindful of us. He hath blessed us. He will bless the house of Israel, He will bless the house of His spiritual leaders. ("house of Aaron")

He will bless those who love what He loves ("fear Him") both small and great.

We are the blessed of The Lord!

Grace and Peace,

Sheila Atchley

All blog content is the property of the writer, including all "In the Middle" intellectual and visual art property...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sniffle* *sob* ACK mother you're slaying me

~Sarah

Heather said...

Greetings! My name is Heather and I was hoping you could answer a quick question I have about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1@gmail.com

Susan said...

Love this post!!! sniff::sniff:: ... oh how our grands make our lives grand ... and they will always be our babies :)

Happy (belated) Birthday, Miss Aidyn Esther ... you are in a wonderful family!

PS --- LOVE all these pics ... life is all about our relationships :)