Dining Room Mini Makeover

Hints were hinted at, on yesterday's blog post. Here is what Hannah and I were up to:

...cutting and sewing...so that our old chairs could do justice to....


...a pair of oak corner cabinets! I was so excited to get them...


I enjoyed arranging the shelves - Hannah loved styling them, too. (Notice: I "arrange", she "styles".)


Love the ticking fabric, made into ruffles on the bottoms of the slipcovers!I think I managed to eke out two of them, Hannah sewed the rest. Also,notice the tablerunner. I designed it - choosing the fabrics, and telling Hannah what I wanted - she sewed it. Ticking with a graphic orange-and-cream colored print trim. Mitered corners, no less. Homegirl's got mad skillz.



Just playing with the soft focus in post-edit. Please excuse. I can't decide if it looks artistic or crap.




The final thing this room needs is a Jonathan Howe original, and a rug to give more texture, and warm up the floor. This floor is a battered old oak, and I love to have it so. We could refinish it whenever we want - we have access to all the tools, and The Preacher has the know-how. But I don't want shiny, perfect floors. So I'm not wanting a rug to cover them up...I just want to soften and add texture and brighten the overall feel of this room.

I took a ton of shots of the tablesetting - in RAW instead of JPEG. I think either my card totally rejected shooting in RAW (not me...the files)
or I did something when I uploaded to my laptop. Either way, the pictures have vanished.


Maybe I'll try again? I haven't put the dishes back away yet.





5 comments:

MrsWendy said...

BEAUTIFUL!! Love the makeover and your new corner cabinets! Very pretty. And BRAVO! to Hannah! You're so right, the girl is amazing with a sewing machine!

Christina said...

HEY! I'm so glad you're shooting in RAW! That is awesome. Sorry I just get excited when people actually use raw and seem to understand RAW. By the way, I like your photography style...coming along. You make me jealous...in a postive way. I have been itching to our home redecorated and do projects. Sigh...one day at a time right? It is "new" dinning room is beautiful...simple cottage style.

Liz Overton said...

Love it! It looks awesome!

Javamom said...

Did you ever find your table setting shots? Your china looks a lot like ours from a distance...especially the oval platter in the cabinet :-).

Sheila Atchley said...

I never did get those shots. :( we have an area rug now - and I already want to change it. (Kids got it for me....it is fine, but my tastes have become even clearer since they got it...I think it was Mother's Day year before last...it wasn't expensive, so I won't feel bad when I finally find the one that is perfect!)