Maybe the Kitchen is NOT Done...

Well, I thought my kitchen was done for now.

But Tim and my daughter Sarah (very important...Sarah found these counters!) ::smile::

...they have figured out a way to create butcher-block counters for me, for a fraction of a fraction of their retail cost. He found supplies unexpectedly at a salvage store, and so this evening he and both son-in-loves (one mathmetician Justin, one artist-woodworker Jonathan) have already begun creating my new kitchen counters.

I've always wanted wood counters...not granite. Why not granite? Granite has been done and done and done. Plus, granite isn't my vibe. I like them in your house, but in my own house, I tend to have a consistent aesthetic of "perfectly imperfect", time-worn, hand made. At least that is the ethos I am steadily working towards. Eventually, I do not want my home to speak "big box store" OR "designer".

Wood counters. No more Formica - yeay!

With a new white porcelain double bowl sink. Very farm-housey without the expensive "farmhouse sink".

And a fabulous faucet. Promise you've never seen anything like it. All these things from a salvage place.

Of course, full pics when they are done. Can't wait!



Forty-seven year old preacher hands...



Young, newlywed artist's hands...





Working together with a son-in-law...also a comfort. Oh my, how we love our sons-in-love.




small vignette in my kitchen...might keep it this way, might not. I've seen lots of old paint splattered ladders in all the design books lately. What do you think?





excuse the magnetic DART sticking out of the side of the fridge...which is covered in pictures of my beloved church family.





I am actually using a shopping bag, when I remember, to get groceries (when I only have to shop for a few things.) Our local Fresh Market is my favorite grocery store...I fell hard for this burlap shopping bag there. My goal is to decorate completely with things useful as well as beautiful, rather than "knick knacks".




I'm hearing the sound of sanders and saws...just outside this door!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you, Sheila :) Your kitchen is going to be beautiful. And I love the idea of butcher block countertops. My favorite countertop that I wish I had? Tile. But our 80's off-white is still in good shape, so we'll keep it. But one can dream, right? Oh, and tell me that dart is not sticking onto a picture of me... ;) I love you.

MrsWendy said...

Love it! Love it! Love it!! :-) And so happy for you....wooden counters are so lovely! And we had a farmhouse sink in our old family house...the one I grew up in, that my mom grew up in...I always loved that sink! Had one like it in our old home. There is just something pleasant about using an old fashioned, porcelain sink. And it will look so good wrapped around by a butcher block counter. Can't wait to see it! :-)

Kelly said...

Oh I love it, love it...cannot wait to see the finished product :)