Healthy Meals

My buddy Lydia has started a new blog, dedicated to healthy eating. I can testify to the fact that she has been "living" her blog, and trying new recipes and sharing them, for quite awhile now. I am very excited for her, and hope her blog ministers to lots!


I have been one to scoff at "food rules", generally. Why? Because you name it, I have done it. Complete with cooking an entirely low-fat and no-fat Thanksgiving dinner, for which my family has mercilessly mocked me for over a decade ever since. I've done a whole foods diet, tried soaking my grains, and have been on a low carb diet. I still eat entirely whole grain bread and pasta and rice, and I still grind my own grains when I am in the mood.


I still believe in "real" food. I use butter. I use olive oil 95% of the time. I don't think twice about splashing real cream into my whole grain mac-n-cheese recipe. You won't catch low fat this or that in my fridge. I'm more concerned about fake food than I am fat grams.


Back in the day, I was adamant about eating "chemical free" food. Still, all that control over my food didn't do a whole lot for me. (I also don't have any known food allergies. If I did, that would be different. A few rules would have to apply.) In fact, it was precisely when I let go of the food rules that I felt dramatically better!


Nevertheless...I turned 40, a few years back. I swear, there is some invisible line you cross at 40. All at once, you have to wear reading glasses, and you have to eat consciously. It is time for me to be a little more mindful about my diet. This is what I love about Lydia's blog. It inspires you to conscious eating, not rule-based eating. (There is a strong link, by the way, with food rules and legalism. One is often a manifestation of the other!)


These days, I do notice a difference when I load up on Omega 3's, B vitamins (through fresh food sources, as well as a sublingual supplement), and I do so much better when I have a bit of protien with each and every meal, and when I have four or five tiny meals instead of two or three larger meals. What I eat, and how I eat it, now noticeably affects the quality of my day.


Inspired by Miss Lydia Joy, I want to share some particularly healthy recipes with you - recipes that constitute a nourishing breakfast and lunch.





Free range eggs, with salmon and fresh squeezed orange juice...


Salmon, any way you can get it, is crucial, in my mind. Unlike many, I won't even quibble over farmed or wild - canned or smoked - whatever you can afford. Just please eat your salmon.





Ingredients for hummus: 2 TB tahini, chickpeas, 2 cloves garlic, 3 or 4 TB lemon juice, coarse salt, and a splash of olive oil.


I love hummus with organic blue corn chips. Yum!

Fresh spinach is another very important food for us girls over 40. Walnuts. Flax seed and yogurt. And I am getting carried away.

Do visit Lydia's blog. I think you will enjoy it.

3 comments:

lydia said...

Aw! A plug from Momma Sheila - whoot whoot!! Love it!! And love your post! Yes eat your salmon! Every time I feed my kids salmon, and I would swear on this, I notice that they are all suddenly so happy, peaceful, even and just well nourished!! It's a superfood for sure ( I would have to say though, I am a little leery of farmed salmon, just my 2 cents though ;)

Sheila Atchley said...

I don't blame you for being leery. Occasionally, though, when I want fillets, farm raised is all I can afford.

Love your blog! :-)

lydia said...

I hear ya ;) Thankfully we have a Trader Joe's near us and I have to say they are really a blessing in the affordableness of their seafood!!!

Glad you are enjoying the blog! Your kitchen looks lovely! I love the turquoise cups - would love to sit and have a cup of tea with you!!!