Blouse "Upcycle" - From a Thrifted Dress and Skirt

It all started yesterday, when I made this pillow out of a linen thrift store dress... As I was gathering the scraps to throw them away, I noticed that the top of the dress was still intact: So I saved it, and began thinking about what I wanted to do with it. I remembered this thrifted skirt I bought last year, also for .75 cents, but have never worn - it is super cute, but a little too short for my liking.

But it has several rows of gauzy ruffles...


...which I utilized (cut off) to make a ruffled trim for the cut up dress-turned-pillow-and-blouse...


Here is the ruffle, sewed on to the bottom of the dress-top, making it into a tunic-length blouse:

Then I decided the neckline needed a little somethin'-somethin'. So I cut out about a zillion circles, and made four rosettes:

Here is all that was left of the skirt:

Here is the finished product - this thing is so cute! It looks darling on! I can't decide whether to keep it and wear it, or start a little online shop and sell it.




I am so enjoying this little season of not homeschooling. I have not "not home schooled" for twenty years. Isaac will be completing his apprenticeship, and finishing up a very few things for his senior credits, and it is mostly all on him now.

I basically get to wake up every day, play with grandson, and decide what fun thing I want to do today. I have never had that luxury, ever. I graduated from school, went straight to work full time, got married, kept working, and got pregnant with twins before our first anniversary.

Then I chose to home educate all four children.

Now...here I am, in the enviable position of being a young "forty-something" who has absolutely no regrets, is not burned out, not skeptical, not jaded, and getting to decide what I want to do with the rest of my life - how would God have me spend and be spent for Him in these finest years that lie ahead of me? I am considering a part time job - since staying at home to raise and home educate four children with a husband in full time ministry was/is the equivelent of financial suicide. We have some ground to catch up on. I simply have to decide which job do I want? All advice will be eagerly considered.

God is good. And for now, waking up and sewing stuff is crazy-fun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and the internet and your lovely 'spirit of sharing what you're learning/ being taught' makes your 'season of being free as a bird' an expanded blessing, where those of us who 'happen by' on any given day can experience the joys of *grace-filled living* with you! :o))) LoveUeverly > me acrost them mtns

Sarah Howe said...

Wonderful blouse mom! That's great! I am coming over today with you to play creative!!!

Summer said...

Hmmm lets see ....Maybe you can be an advice guru (GODLY advice is very hard to come by these day's
)....So you will either swamped with work or unemployed quickly...
Then again you can always pursue the seamstress route ....You are very good at it ....The sky is the limit !!

Sandra said...

I went through the same thing 6 children grown and gone, last one a junior with one foot already out of the nest. I found myself wondering what to do, what skills do I have? After lots of thoughts, I have to say I came up with nothing. So I started praying for God's will in my life. I had spent so long taking care of my family, I could not get see the valuable skills that God had taught me all these years. My phone rang one day and my neighbor asked if I had ever thought about being a personal concierge, that she thought I would be perfect for it I answered quiet honestly no, I did not want to work in a hotel or resort atmosphere. She said no personal concierge, so my husband and I prayed about it and we decided it would not hurt to try it and see if I liked it. God knows us better than we know ourselves. It is now almost 2 years later and I am having a great time. I shop, mange staff to clean and maintain homes , take cars to be repaired, I have flexible hours to spend time with the grand babies. God is good, life is good. I too was always happy with my life and enjoyed taking care of my husband and my family. Now I make a little extra money still doing what I love. The families I take care of are like an extension of my own. God has truly blessed me. Sorry I was so wordy, just thought I would share.

Sheila Atchley said...

Dear Sandra,

OH, I hope you check back for a reply! I would *love* it if you could email me! I want so much to ask you more questions. Your job sounds like something I'd enjoy. I don't see any way to get in touch with you. So I hope you see this, and have time to shoot me a little email - you'll see my address on the top right hand side of my blog page. THANK YOU for stopping by and taking time to leave such a lovely, lovely comment!!