Ash Wednesday


Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, which in the liturgical church is a time of fasting and introspection.

For me, as well as my liturgical friends, this marks the beginning of the Easter season. Easter is the most important celebration in all Christendom. Easter is far more important than Christmas. Without the resurrection, there is no salvation.

"... if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins! "
(I Cor. 15:17)


For me, Ash Wednesday and Lent is the start of about 40 days of inward celebration, not introspection. God, in Christ Jesus, has forgiven me all my sins at the cross. Christ took my sin, became sin for me, that I might be made the righteousness of God. That was an absolutely extravagant, unbalanced, unequal exchange. Where it concerns the grace of God, if you even say the word "balance", you do not understand the depth of your sin nor the greatness of grace.


In recent years, I have begun keeping the Easter Season with the same sweetness and focus as the Christmas season. Beginning on Ash Wednesday, and ending in Pentecost, these are weeks bursting with joy and new life - flowers, sunshine, green grass, deep thoughts, stunning Scripture passages, new plantings, seed sown....and yes, bunnies. Our bunnies made their spring appearance three days ago. I simply must figure out how to protect the lettuce sprouts, when they come up.


Won't you join me? Beginning today, will you consider how to decorate your home to reflect the sweetness of spring and resurrection? Join me in forging family traditions that honor Easter in simple but meaningful ways? Will you take some time each morning and evening to consider the sacrifice of Christ and the grace of God?


Today, I deeply ponder the fact that He gives beauty for ashes. Oh, how my life, just this past one year alone, has been a living testimony to this truth!

This year, for Lent, I am going to fast from unbelief. I am actually going to live like all my sins were forgiven more than two thousand years ago.


Join me?

4 comments:

Kristen's Korner said...

Sheila,

What joy this post brought my heart. I love holidays, love tradition, yet I did not even realize it was the beginning of Lent. And, like you mentioned, have not thought alot about the season leading up to Easter as I do Christmas. But not only do I agree that it is all the more important... for me... this "word" is timely.

I was thinking all of this and feeling a stirring in my spirit when I got to the end of your "confessay". You stated you were going to fast from unbelief. My sister it cut straight to my heart as I am in a season of crying out to once again step into a place of unadulterated Faith! Thank you for sharing. Thanks for encouraging and strengthening... thanks for passing along Heritage. I am getting off to go brainstorm my strategy for heading into the Easter season...PTL!

Summer said...

Sheila , So true .....There is nothing balanced about what GOD did for us when HIS SON JESUS CHRIST was used as the blood sacrifice to cover our sins ....At times during my days I walk around in atsonishment at this and find it mind boggling yet our bible study on the book of ROMANS is solidifying all of this for me once again ......Lent reminds me that I need to live in celebration all year for what HE did for me ....I do decorate the house with fresh flowers and make sure that a pretty tablecloth is on my table also my hubby and I read scripture about this time in CHRISTS life every morning.....Thanks for this post and have a great day .....p.s.Your daughter hannah's blog is really nice

Sheila Atchley said...

Kristen!!! *squeal*

Ohhhh, thank you for taking time out of your day to leave a comment. I keep the weather in Kampot on my phone...i have this app that lets me see the weather where Josiah is, where you and the team are, and of course the weather report here. I saw yesterday that it was 90 degrees there in the MORNING. SO not a spring feeling as far as the temperatures in Cambodia go...but I am praying for a Springtime in your spirit, woman!! :-)

For years, I let Easter sneak up on me. All my life, really. It was like, "Oh...it's Easter. Better get the girls a dress and buy a ham." Of course, I always deeply felt and experienced resurrection on that special Sunday. But I really like the way the liturgical church "waits" for Easter in the same way they "wait" for Christmas (Advent).

These are special days, leading up to the Passion week. They do deserve special focus. I wish I had done these things when my kids were young.

I love you!!!!

MrsWendy said...

Just stopping back by again for this post... Thank you for sharing what you did Dearest. Growing up, I didn't even know what Lent was. We did celebrated Easter by going to church, hid Easter eggs and couldn't wait for the Easter bunny to come and leave our Easter baskets filled with goodies! It wasn't until God came and rescued me as a teenager that the true meaning of Easter became life to me. But still yet, I have not giving much thought to Lent or the days leading up to Easter. But after reading what you have posted on Lent, it is stirring up in me to stop and take in the Easter season...all that Jesus has done for us, God's amazing Gift of Grace to each and everyone of us...to its fullest. Thanks again for sharing on Lent.